Matt received his B.B.A. in Information Systems and Finance from the University of Cincinnati in 1992 and his J.D. from the University of Toledo in 1996. After passing the bar exam, Matt embraced the challenge of starting his legal career as a solo practitioner, where he limited his practice to the defense of citizens charged with crimes.
After successfully handling several DUI cases early in his career, Matt has worked at narrowing the focus of his practice to the point where OVI/DUI defense constitutes approx. 80% of his practice. Annually, Matt will represent about 100 citizens charged with DUI/OVI. While the bulk of his practice is in Hamilton, Clermont, Butler, and Warren counties, Matt can be found fighting OVI’s in Preble, Montgomery, Adams, Brown, Clinton, and Franklin counties.
Even though Matt attended the University of Toledo for law school, he has continued his legal education by attending scores of national seminars on DUI defense (at least 3 major seminars each year), the Trial Practice Institute at the National Criminal Defense College in Macon, GA, and the N.H.T.S.A. Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Student Course. He has also lectured at many DUI seminars over his 25-year career.
When it comes to representing his clients, it is without question that Matt is not afraid to take off the gloves and mix it up, whether at motion or trial. Some of Matt’s recent OVI battles have even led to a discretionary appeal before the Ohio Supreme Court and several appellate decisions in the First and Twelfth Districts.
The linchpin of an excellent DUI Defense is being smarter, more prepared, more creative, and conducting a better investigation than the prosecution. This is what you get when you hire The Law Offices of Matthew T. Ernst.
- University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, Ohio
- J.D. – 1996
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
- B.B.A. – 1992
- Major: Information Systems/Finance
- Ohio, 1996
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1997
- State v. Bacher, 867 N.E.2d 864, 170 Ohio App.3d 457, 2007-Ohio-727 (Ohio App. 1 Dist. 2007)
- State v. Skimmerhorn, 835 N.E.2d 52, 162 Ohio App.3d 762, 2005-Ohio-4300 (Ohio App. 1 Dist. 2005)
- State v. Meyer, 706 N.E.2d 378, 124 Ohio App.3d 373, 1999-Ohio-368 (Ohio App. 1 Dist. 1997)
- State v. Richard, 2011-Ohio-6631, C-110128
- State v. McCausland, 918 N.E.2d 507, 124 Ohio St.3d 8, 2009-Ohio-5933 (Ohio 2009)
- State v. McCausland, 2008-Ohio-5660, No. CA2007-10-254
- State v. Booth, 2008-Ohio-1274, No. C-070184
- State v. Selbak, 2003-Ohio-2688, CA200206139, 03-LW-2055 (12th)
- State v. Carmical, 742 N.E.2d 1221, 110 Ohio Misc.2d 4, 2000-Ohio-1765 (Ohio Mun. 2000)
- State v. Luckett, 2008-Ohio-1441, Nos. C-070359, C-070360, C-070361
- National College for OVI Defense, Member, 2000 to Present
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member, 1996 to Present
- Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2000 to Present